Work from Art Farm

Images of work completed during my residency at Art Farm in Marquette, Nebraska, 2010. I began with a blank wall, drawing paper and toothpicks and assembled this on a wall of the studio during my three weeks on site.

Advertisements

Wheelbarrow for Your Troubles

This project was the result of a collaboration with Alvin P. Gregorio at Vertigo Art Space in Denver, CO. The structure is a drawing as much as it is an object. It is built of rough sketches, measurements, paper models and plans.

Gridwork

Proposal Drawings

MoMA Atrium Calculations

The following images document the act of measuring the Museum of Modern Art atrium space. Click on an image for more information.

One aspect of this work I have been considering is the idea of authorship. If Bernhardt Laboratories had, or needed, an installation crew, this image would represent the unloading of some provisional works for the Measuring MoMA project. Sample models would be brought into the museum’s loading bay and later into the atrium to test relationships between objects and to establish sightlines from various locations. The mock-ups and early drawings used in this process were fairly rough, owing to the broad estimations of space in the atrium used prior to this opportunity to take physical measurements. Based on comparisons between the drawings, models, and mock-ups against the physical dimensions of the atrium, some retooling of elements has proven necessary, as was expected.

Preview of the MoMA Project Drawings

The following images represent a few of the drafted drawings being made for the MoMA project.

The ground plan of the atrium as envisioned by the drawing laboratory.


The rocket unit.

The cloud conveyor unit, seen without the applied cloud texture.

Wave Form

I once found a parachute caught on a barbed-wire fence. It was partially covered with snow and had only recently become visible. I was on a bike ride when I discovered it, so I came back for it later with my truck. The lines had been cut, which brings up questions about how it came to be where I found it. I’m guessing the original owner cut this tangled one away and used a back-up chute to finish the jump safely. Using box fans I filled the parachute with air lengthwise. Because of its blue color and the rippling effect of air moving underneath I thought of it as a wave. This is just one more method for contriving a wave form like the various examples one might find in Renaissance theater sets.

Advertisements